Study abroad is for anyone who wants to broaden their horizons and make the most of their college experience. Opportunities are available for any student, regardless of their major, background or circumstances. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

When can I study abroad?
Fall, spring, academic year, and summer programs are available. Semester and academic year programs may require at least a junior-year standing. However, you may study abroad at any time. If you are interested in studying abroad your senior year, you must request approval from the Dean of the College and discuss graduation information with the Registrar’s Office.  Your study abroad advisor will discuss this process with you during an individual meeting.

When should I start looking into study abroad?
Now! You should allow as much time as possible to complete the steps in the study abroad process. The advising team is happy to meet with you as early as your freshman year to start planning your experience.

When should I apply for a passport?
Immediately. This helps avoid problems with your study abroad plans. A passport is required for you to receive the student visas necessary for most study abroad programs. Visit for passport information and an application. If you already have a passport, be sure it is valid for at least six (6) months beyond the end of your trip.

How early should I apply to study abroad?
Each program has its own deadline. Most Wake Forest programs require that you apply two semesters prior to the semester you intend to study abroad. Most Affiliate programs begin taking applications at the beginning of the semester prior to the semester in which you plan to go abroad. Refer to your specific program Web page or the deadlines link for dates.

What are the academic requirements?
Students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 prior to studying abroad. This requirement applies to both Wake Forest and Affiliate programs. Many programs have higher GPA requirements. Some programs also require prerequisite courses and/or at least junior-year standing. Refer to your specific program requirements. Students on suspension during the study abroad application process or any time leading up to departure may not participate in a study abroad program.

Do I need to know another language?
Refer to your specific program requirements. If you decide to attend a program in a country that speaks a language other than English, Wake Forest requires you to take at least one class in the native language of that country while studying abroad.

Are scholarships and financial aid available?
Yes. Scholarships are available through the Center for Global Programs and Studies and outside sources. Program directors and academic departments often offer their own scholarships to students attending particular programs. Students already receiving financial aid through the university should contact the Student Financial Aid Office office for details on transferring federal/institutional aid.

Do I receive credit for courses taken abroad?
If you participate in a Wake Forest program, you will receive course credit that will apply to your GPA. Divisional credit is given if you participate in a Wake Forest program and a divisional course is being taught.

If you participate in an Affiliate program, you will receive transfer credit for all grades of a “C” or better. Transfer credit does not apply to your Wake Forest GPA. Divisional credit must be approved by the department chair for Affiliate programs. For more detailed information, refer to the “Academic Credit” section on the How to Apply page of our site.

How do I get courses approved for Wake Forest credit?
Once you have been accepted into an Affiliate program, you will receive instructions about course approvals. Some courses are already pre-approved and can be signed off in the Center for Global Programs and Studies. Contact your study abroad advisor for a list of these courses.

What if I need to enroll in a course that was not pre-approved?
Sometimes a pre-approved course is no longer offered when you register abroad. Contact your study abroad advisor for an Email Course Approval Form (ECAF).

How are grades processed once the semester is over?
Once the registrar receives the grades from the abroad institution, they will be checked for WFU approval and processed. All grades received abroad will appear on the official transcript.