Wake Forest University understands that parents want to stay informed about program details and all the preparations that are necessary for a great study abroad experience. We invite parents to learn more about Wake Forest’s programs and policies by reading through the information below.

Where can I find information about the study abroad program my son or daughter is interested in?
Each program has an online brochure that provides information on eligibility requirements (such as minimum GPA), costs, courses, housing, etc. To locate a program, click on “Find a program” on our homepage. You can search for a program either by typing in the name of the program or according to city, country, region, academic area, language, etc.

How much is it going to cost for my son or daughter to study abroad?
Program costs vary, depending on location and type of program.

If a student chooses to study on a Wake Forest program, then you will pay WFU tuition, a housing fee and program fees where applicable. Each program page will have specific information about costs and out of pocket expenses.

If a student chooses an Affiliate program (non-WFU), then you pay the abroad institution’s tuition directly. Exact costs for Affiliate programs can be found on linked pages within the programs brochure pages. These links will also provide estimated out-of-pocket expenses, such as airfare, personal expenses, food, and, in some cases, housing. WFU will also bill all students on Affiliate programs a study abroad enrollment fee equal to 12% of WFU semester tuition.

For information on financial aid and scholarships please visit Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Can I use a 529 College Savings Plan to pay for an abroad program?
Because 529 plans vary from state to state, you must check with your plan to verify whether or not it will pay for an abroad program.

Is it safe for my son or daughter to study abroad?
All students must take part in a mandatory pre-departure orientation provided by the Center for Global Programs and Studies. During this orientation, the Center for Global Programs and Studies briefs students regarding safety and health risks, as well as offers suggestions on how to avoid these risks. To learn more about health and safety issues for students on study abroad programs, please visit the Before You Go webpage.

Will my son or daughter need health insurance while abroad?
Yes. For all Wake Forest-administered programs, students will receive coverage through GeoBlue. In most cases, students studying on Affiliate programs will be covered by a policy through their program. If that program does not offer sufficient medical coverage, then the Center for Global Programs and Studies will facilitate enrollment in GeoBlue. For more information, please contact our International Risk Officer at studyabroad@wfu.edu  or 336.758.5938.

How do I contact someone in the WFU Center for Global Programs and Studies?
The WFU Center for Global Programs and Studies is open daily from 8:30am-5:00 pm, Monday through Friday; you may leave a message anytime, and your call will be returned. Our office telephone number is 336.758.5938. You can also contact someone by submitting this form here.

In case of an emergency after normal business hours, contact the WFU Police Department at 1.336.758.5911. The phone is staffed 24 hours a day, including holidays; personnel there are prepared to relay information both to the Dean of Students Office and to the Center for Global Programs and Studies staff. They will ensure the appropriate persons are notified and that you are contacted regarding any action taken.